FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- If I complete the required credits for graduation, will I receive a fully endorsed Michigan Merit Curriculum Diploma?
Yes, students receive a fully endorsed Michigan Merit Curriculum Diploma so long as they take the required MME exam and complete the graduation credit track.
- Do I have to take the MEAP, MME/ACT tests?
Yes, the state requires students in applicable grade levels to take these standardized state tests. In addition, these tests must be taken in the home district of YES Academy. For students who live outside the home district and have issues with transportation, transportation will be provided upon request. Manistee is the home district is for YES Academy testing.
- Do I have to ever physically be on campus?
Yes, at this time we require students to be on campus for state required testing MME/ACT MEAP. Students are always welcome on the YES Academy campus and occasionally local students may be asked to come in.
- Does YES Academy accept courses earned through other schools in Michigan, out-of-state schools, homeschool credits, etc?
Yes, if you earned it, we accept it! Transferred credit will fully apply toward your Individualized Learning Plan.
- Can I take dual-enrollment (college) courses and will YES Academy pay for them?
Yes, there are laws that we must comply with, but dual-enrollment is definitely possible.
- Are there textbooks that go along with the curriculum?
All classes are done online, however there are some courses that involve textbooks. They are mostly AP classes. YES Academy supplies the book and the student must return the book at the end of the semester or earlier. If a student does not return a textbook, they will be liable for the cost of the book.
- Can I finish my classes earlier than scheduled?
Yes, you can move ahead as quickly as you like and even graduate early.
- Is there a minimum amount of time I'm required to be online for the program?
Yes, we require our students to work actively online for 4/5 hours per week per class. This is equivalent to taking classes on-campus. YES Academy reserves the right to increase the amount of online learning time for a student that has fallen behind their completion schedule.
- If I have trouble in a subject area, is there help available?
Yes, each student has a certified teacher acting as a mentor teacher and a certified content teacher to ask questions. The teachers can be reached by phone, email, live chat, and Skype.
- If I want to earn my degree from YES Academy is it true that I can graduate with as few as 20 credits?
Yes, the number of credits will range from 19-24 and will depend on your individualized learning plan. Tell us how you want your school to work to help you achieve your goals, and YES Academy will work with you to make it happen.
- Can I use my own computer?
Yes, your courses can be accessed from any computer that is on the Internet.